So, I’ve just get new budget Android Smartphone last week. It’s sold in Indonesia since 4 September 2014. It’s also sold in India and other countries. So, what’s good about this Xiaomi Redmi 1S?
- It’s a cheap budget Android Smartphone with powerful hardware for its price, only Rp1.499.000,- or about 126 US$.
- It use MIUI ROM which in, my experience, has one of the most best user interface.
Specification can be checked at GSMARENA.
Ok, I have open it before, so the charger and USB cable is not on plastic wrap anymore.
What’s in the box:
- The Xiaomi Redmi 1S smartphone
- USB cable data
- Wall plug charger
The specification is very good for its price. It use Snapdragon 400 MSM8228. One thing to note is, in Antutu and site like GSMARENA, that the phone is said to use MSM8228, while on CPU-Z android it’s detected as MSM8226. I’m not sure which one is correct.
In general usage, the phone is pretty smooth. As far as I know, it’s smoother than my old Sony Xperia M Dual. The RAM is only 1GB but I rarely found any lag. But the first time I boot the phone, I found that the UI and the camera is laggy. In camera mode, it feels so lag. I don’t know why, but after I restart the phone, that lag is gone.
Other things to note, is that I found certain issue which may be due to the bugs.
- Sometimes when you play a game like INJUSTICE, after few rounds, the game crash. I don’t know why, but when I check the ram, it still green, which mean there’s still enough RAM. There was once, when a small app like whatsapp keep crashing. I don’t know why but rebooting the phone seems fix the issue. Now, I found no issue but the first one, in which there’s chance to crash when you play a big game like Injustice. I hope, the developer of MIUI will fix this, since the hardware are able to play that game smoothly.
- Certain small game like Where’s my Perry was once laggy even when the ram is enough, though as I remember it only happened once.
When we are talking about Chinese Budget Phone, one thing to ask is, is there any heat issue? How hot is the temperature. In my experience when it’s charged, it got heated and in certain battery level (low as I remember), the phone may has high cpu usage and get laggy. I think this is another bug, because when I plugged off the cable, the lag is gone.
In daily usage for game and browsing the heat is tolerable. It get hotter when you are browsing using Data instead of WiFi. Based on my experience on heat: Charging (on certain battery level) > Data > wifi/gaming.
It use custom ROM MIUI Android Jelly Bean 4.3, which in my opinion is one of the best. It’s said that the phone will include the latest MIUI 6 update later in the end of 2014. The bad thing about this ROM is that it only left the free RAM about 300MB from approx. 1 GB. Though, it doesn’t really matter, since there’s no lag on daily usage.
Should you buy it? If you are looking for budget android phone below 200US$ then this one is a good choice. It’s packed with good hardware and nice UI.